A complainant or witness has many reporting options. An individual may pursue some of the following steps at the same time (e.g., one may simultaneously pursue an internal complaint and a criminal complaint). When initiating any of the following, an individual need not know whether they wish to request any particular course of action, nor how to label what happened. Choosing to make a complaint, and deciding how to proceed after making the complaint, can be a process that unfolds over time.

Decide whether to report

The University recognizes that deciding among these options can be difficult. Complainants and witnesses are encouraged to seek assistance from a confidential resource before deciding how to proceed.

Some members of the University community have a responsibility to report suspected violations; for more information about reporting responsibilities, see section 1.3.5 #4 of the sex discrimination and sexual misconduct policy.

Request interim measures

Anyone who seeks to make a make a complaint or report may request interim measures to preserve the complainant’s educational experience, the safety of all parties and the broader University community, maintain the integrity of the investigative and/or resolution process, and deter retaliation. For more information on interim measures, see section 1.3.9 of the sex discrimination and sexual misconduct policy.

To request interim measures, contact the Title IX coordinator.

File an internal complaint

Anyone who seeks to make a make a complaint or report may file an internal complaint with the Title IX coordinator, thereby invoking the University's internal disciplinary process.

To make a complaint or report:

For more information about reporting to the Title IX coordinator, see section 1.3.8 of the sex discrimination and sexual misconduct policy.

File a criminal complaint

  • Contact the Department of Public Safety (609-258-1000) for assistance in filing a criminal complaint and preserving physical evidence; and/or
  • Contact local law enforcement (911 or 609-921-2100) to file a criminal complaint.

For more information about making a criminal complaint, see section 1.3.6 #1 of the sex discrimination and sexual misconduct policy.

Report anonymously

Any individual may make an anonymous report concerning a violation of this policy through the University's EthicsPoint hotline, an independent reporting service. An EthicsPoint report can be made without disclosing the reporting person’s own name, identifying the respondent, or requesting any action. However, if the reporter provides limited information, the University may be limited in its ability to take action. EthicsPoint is not a confidential resource and making a report to EthicsPoint may result in a University review or investigation. Please refer to the sex discrimination and sexual misconduct policy for more information about anonymity.